Monday, September 24, 2012

Classroom Strategies that Work ... Homework and Practice

Wow! It has been some time since I have posted. Can you tell that school has started and things have been craazzzy? I have just a few moments in between PLC meetings at one of my schools, so I thought I would take this moment to share the next set of Marzano's strategies and some technology choices that fit.

We are now to the homework and practice strategy and are ready to see how technology can turn this into a fun activity for students. According to Marzano, homework should give students a change to practice and review what they have learned to deepen their understanding and proficiency. Research indicates that students need to practice a skill twenty-four times to reach 80% competency. Brain research indicates that practice must take place over several years for the understanding and proficiency to be deepen and cemented. But who wants to practice and who really likes homework?

Flashcard sites to the rescue! There are dozens of flashcards sites on the web. The one I use the most is quizlet.com. Quizlet allows you to create online flashcards or even use flashcards created and shared by others. There are four ways to use the flashcards including a couple of pretty challenging games. Quizlet is available of course on the computer, but can also be accessed through apps for most mobile devices. Check out this video to learn more or better still, sign up for a free account and try it out. Let me know what you think. Also, tell me about any other online flashcard site that you use and like. 

2 comments:

  1. I use online flashcard generator and study on my phone too. But I prefer apps by Superflashcard. Beside flashcards I created myself, I can also study their well-organized database, they also have a lot of study modes for user.

    ReplyDelete