Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Tools to Help Struggling Readers

I'm a reader. I can devour fiction books in hours and nonfiction texts in a day or two at the most. My friends are amazed by my reading abilities. I'm fortunate, a love of reading was instilled early and I have never struggled with reading difficulties.

Some of our students, however, do struggle and the wonder of books are lost because of that struggle. We are a G Suite for Education district, so teachers are always looking for ways to help their readers while using Chromebooks and Google accounts. Below are a few options that may be worth checking out. Let me know what you think and if you have others to add to the list.

Reading:
Books that grow - paid subscription
Closed captioning on Discovery Education Videos

Text to Speech extensions:
Announcify - reads aloud websites

Simplify text on screen
Beeline Reader - adds text gradient to help students with tracking

Audio Books
Librivox - public domain classics read aloud
OverDrive - must have an associated public library card

No comments:

Post a Comment