Tuesday, January 24, 2012

WatchKnowLearn Site

I love free! As educators, I know you do too. With the economy as it is and school budgets getting smaller, what's a teacher to do other than use as many free resources as we can. Right?

I am sure that you have been using YouTube and loving that GCS has unblocked that site. I hope you are using Discovery Education since that is still being provided for you from the district. But sometimes, those sites don't have the video you need for the particular content you are teaching. I just learned about a free site, yes free, that provides thousands of video content with many especially for elementary students! The site is called WatchKnowLearn. According to their website, they have indexed over 20,000 educational videos in 3,000 categories. You can search their database by category (subject areas) and you can drill down in those categories as well.

A feature that I found useful is being able to search by student age level as well. You simply use the slider to narrow down the age category. The screen shot shows that I narrowed my search to 8-12 year olds.


Finally, another feature for this site that is truly worth checking out is the ability to create your own online classroom. Creating your online classroom allows you to save videos into your categories for your students to access easily. You even get your own sub-domain which becomes the URL address for your online classroom. You can create student accounts and even add attachments to those videos.

I love the possibilities for this site. Check it out and let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment