Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Blog Challenge: Day 14 Homework

Blog Challenge: Talk about homework. Do you give it? Why or why not? What types of HW do you give? How do you balance it with other demands?

Homework....a hot topic in many ways. Should students have homework, how much, how often, what kind? Should I think about flipping my class? What about grading homework? And on and on and on.

Instead of getting into a debate about homework, I am going to tell you one thing that was consistent in my classroom about homework. My students had to read 20 minutes each school night because I saw a difference in academic performance of students who read vs. those that didn't. Across the board, all subject areas. Research validates. Have your seen this infographic on reading? Pretty compelling!


The accountability piece in my classroom for those 20 minutes of reading time was a reading log with parent signature. Today, a Google Form could easily take the place of the paper log that my students kept. Click this link to see a sample. 

No comments:

Post a Comment