Thursday, January 30, 2014

Blog Challenge: Day 15: Classroom Wishlist

Blog Challenge: What would be one (or two) items on your classroom wishlist? Why? How might you get this item?

One or two items? Really? Can the I cheat and use two broad categories? I would wish for technology devices and furniture. That is two items, right?

Let me explain. I am basing my wishes on an elementary classroom (although I think with a little tweaking it could apply to secondary classrooms as well). Most people would say that they would want a 1:1 environment for their students. I am not against 1:1, I think that would be pretty awesome. But, I would want a variety of devices in my classrooms and not just one device. I don't use just one device for everything, do you? My classroom has 25 students, so I would love to have 10 student iPads, 5 desktop computers, 5 laptops, 5 iPad minis, and 5 eReaders. This would give students some choice in devices, allow for collaboration, and teach them to plan so they can use the device they need at some time during the day/week.

As for classroom furniture, I would want to get rid of the typical classroom desk. (If you have never read Carl Hooker's Obituary for Student Desk, I highly recommend.) I would want instead a few tables, some low so students can sit on floor (or comfy cushions), some high so students can stand around them. I would want comfy benches (or couches), chairs, bean bags, etc. Furniture that is easily moveable into a variety of configurations so students can get into groups easily or get away to work independently when needed. I also think it would be neat to include a booth set up (yes like in restaurants) so students could work collaboratively there as well. I would include a couple of single desk options for students to have if they want. Of course, I would want a couple of carpeted areas so students could work on the floor if they chose.

Now let me find that Genie lamp and give it a nice polish!

No comments:

Post a Comment