Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Blog Challenge Day 8 - Classroom Management Tip

Blog Challenge: Share a classroom management tip. What is one thing that you do that works for you?

pearsonlongman.com
This week, I have been co-teaching with kindergarten teachers to help students publish digital stories. It has been fun and the one classroom management technique that I used in a computer lab full of 23 or so kinders is to get their attention by asking them to do something, especially something that gets their hands off the keyboard and/or mouse. So we do things like, "Simon Says touch your head." Or "if you hear my voice, clap your hands one time. If you hear my voice, clap two times." Either way, I now have them looking at me and ready for the next instruction. It's the little procedures that are helpful.

But I would be remiss if I didn't talk about Classroom Management Web 2.0 Style! I am sure that most of you have heard of ClassDojo. It is a free, fantastic behavior management tool that monitors students' positive
and negative behaviors. ClassDojo will be a great help in assessing student behavior. Assessment is more than numbers in a gradebook. The collection of data regarding student behavior offers a snapshot and helps you target areas that my require intervention. ClassDojo is cross platform and works on any laptop, desktop, Chromebook, or through apps on tables and phones. Their fun graphics can be displayed on a SMART Board.

ClassDojo allows you to customize the different behaviors to fit your classroom culture and expectations. It also provides easy-to-read reports that can be refer to during parent-teacher conferences or IEP meetings. Parents even get their own log in to track their child's progress.

It's free and user-friendly, so check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment